1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPIO pin questions.

Discussion in 'GPIO Modules' started by greg urbano, Aug 3, 2017.

1. greg urbano

greg urbano New Member

hobbyist
    I am looking into purchasing one of the USB GPIO modules for a Visual Basic 2017 project and have been researching different products online. While looking into the Numato products there seems to be an issue with reading the gpio pins and having a reset condition occur. I do not currently own a product so my question is not based on any real "in the field" experience.
    Anyway here goes,

Can you utilize the GPIO pins on one module in three different states?
    i.e. Can one module support pins (individually not concurrently) in both input/output and Analog modes?

Do all pins reset when one is queried?
    i.e. If you are using one as an input and read its state do the pins in output (holding relays open) reset as well?

I appreciate any info regarding programming with Visual Studio 2017 as well.
    I am currently prototyping projects with Raspberry Pi 3 and Xojo and am looking for a more robust solution. I think a Windows 10 pc on a stick with usb relay control might be my solution.

Thanks in advance!

Update: To clarify, gpio pins in digital input/output concurrent with analog. And to add one more question, can two usb gpio modules be enumerated and controlled from the same program?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Everett

Everett New Member

My experience is based on the GPIO 16. If I understand your first question the answer would be yes. Any pin can be used as input or output independent of other pins. Pin 0 can be read as an analog input Pin 1 a digital output and Pin2 as a digital input.

Per your second question, as long as your read query does not interrogate a different output pin, the output pin state is unaffected. You will need to be careful with readall type commands. Masking is available to manage these situations.

Although I have never tried to use multiple devices, I assume each device will have a separate com port and will therefore can be opened in the same program as other devices. Everett

chaka and greg urbano like this.
  3. greg urbano

greg urbano New Member

hobbyist
    Thanks Everett, really appreciate your insight.