1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PacMan running on Mimas V2

Discussion in 'Project Showcase' started by Alexander Lang, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Alexander Lang

Alexander Lang Member

Hi Mihail,

I don't know how you would change the starting positions of the ghosts or their behaviours. I found the following interesting and useful.

http://gameinternals.com/post/2072558330/understanding-pac-man-ghost-behavior

I suspect you will have to look at the ROM code and then edit that in order to achieve your goal. I don't know how to do this or how to start. I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful. What you are asking for is not something I anticipated and nor something I would need to achieve. I wrote a tutorial on how to implement PacMan as a bit of fun - not as a serious piece of FPGA work.

http://simonowen.com/sam/articles/pacemu/

I am not great at assembly level programming so I'm bowing out at this point!

Good luck!

2. Alexander Lang

Alexander Lang Member

3. Mihail Doncila

Mihail Doncila New Member

4. Alexander Lang

Alexander Lang Member

Hi Mihail,

When I have finished work tonight I will take a look at the above link and see if it can be ported across to the Mimas V2.

Please be patient!

Kind regards

Alex

5. Alexander Lang

Alexander Lang Member

Hi Mihail,

I have, as directed tried what you suggested. The good news.....We have a version of Pong which works on the Mimas V2! The bad news......It does not change the screen rotation.

It has been useful though, I believe your methods can be used to get a few of the other old style arcade games working.

Cheers

Alex pong.jpg

6. Mihail Doncila

Mihail Doncila New Member

Hi Alexander,

Help me please with some information. I want to find in the code for PACMAN game the parts where: the ghosts move, the sliding of character in the menu, the conditions when pacman eats big dots and the ghosts' state and color are changed, the scores adding and the condition for GAME OVER.

Cheers

7. Alexander Lang

Alexander Lang Member

Mihail,

Why do you want to be able to do this? Is this a school assignment or project....sounds like it!

The problem is....I don't know. I didn't write the game or the code. I have given as much assistance as I can. I don't have the time to investigate. I suggest as I did previously that you look at the ROM code as that is what is used to drive the game. I have searched everywhere. I do not know how you can achieve this with the version of pacman available for the Mimas V2. Most people I have seen achieving this have used a different method and have written their own code:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~sedwards/classes/2013/4840/reports/Pac-HHZ.pdf

It looks as though they have implemented a microcontroller on the FPGA which can be programmed with C. The rest of the hardware is implemented in VHDL. I don't know how you could reproduce this on the Mimas V2...

Good Luck!