1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPIO 16 module, pull-up resistors?

Discussion in 'GPIO Modules' started by Curtis Scholl, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Curtis Scholl

Curtis Scholl New Member

After 'graduating' from the GPIO 8 module, I notice there are no built in pull up resistors 'on board' the 16 input version. Is there a command that can be issued to option them in the circuit, or perhaps a jumper I am missing that will do same? Just for reference, the GPIO 8 module had small solder 'pads' allowing the inclusion of the 10k pull-up resistor for each input.

Optionally, I notice this is a 3.3v system, and if I have to place my own external resistors, where can I safely tap a 3.3v source to supply said resistors?

Many thanks.

2. jattinella

jattinella New Member

I have the exact same question (also moving from a GPIO8 usb modules). Where do I tap 3.3V to do my pullup? I guess I could drive one of the GPIOs as an output and use that. Or there also appears to be three solder pads marked as VOUT on the power supply section (this is on the gpio16 ethernet version). I would have expected to see a VDD terminal we could easily tap.

3. jattinella

jattinella New Member

I will answer my own question so as to help anyone else searching for the same answer. I send a message to numato support and they immediately answered:
    If the VDD is being tapped strictly for installing pull-up resistors, you may re-purpose a GPIO and set the output value to 1 to achieve this purpose. But if possible, I would use the Pin No.2 of the header marked as ICSP. This pin has VDD always available and can source more current compared an IO.