1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Resolved] Elbert V2 - bricked (after half year of using it)

Discussion in 'FPGA Boards' started by MacGab997, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGab997

MacGab997 New Member

Hello,

after using Elbert V2 for almost half of year and succesfuly created many projects, yesterday I "bricked" this board.
    I was experimenting with simple VGA Arcade game on it. I made a mistake in ucf (user constrained file) and wrongly mapped clock pin. After loading bin file with this game to Elbert it stopped been properly recognized as USB device in OS (I tried it in Windows10 and Linux).

There probably is issues with clock for PIC ucontroller. I tried to attache MISO pin of eeprom(pin 2 in U3 circuit) to GND during start of powering board, but without any result.

Neither in Linux Os nor Windows device is not recognized as proper USB device (the Elbert board).

Is any chance to turn Elbert to 'life' - if yes how to achive that.

Thanks in advance and regards

2. MacGab997

MacGab997 New Member

Hi,

Elbert is alive again. It is after little "brain surgery" - I broke path from PIC clock (connection beetwen crystal and C14) leading to FPGA clock.
    After that Elbert was again seen by OS as a proper USB device, and I was able to program it with proper bin file (proper project).
    After that I again joined broken path and Elbert is working properly - I checked it with few earlier proper projects.

All owners of Elbert V2 bewaare of making mistake with mapping clok pin of FPGA pin because you got into troubles like me.

Regards

rohith likes this.
  3. rohith

rohith Administrator Staff Member

Hi @MacGab997 ,

Glad that you were able to unbrick ElbertV2 with some really cool hacks!

And yep, for other ElbertV2 owners, please do not use the Clk pin as output, or pull it up/down. (ISE even pulls up/down unused pins, setting for which is available in Bitstream Settings, and which is used by some users. Please do not use Pull-up/Pull-down the clock pin, and of course please do not drive it)

Regards

MacGab997 likes this.
  4. MacGab997

MacGab997 New Member

Hello rohit,

I am also glad that I came away unscathed from that issue :)

Regards

rohith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.