1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Resolved]Elbert V2 numato CDC driver not installing

Discussion in 'FPGA Boards' started by unxn3rd, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unxn3rd

unxn3rd New Member

I recently purchased an Elbert V2 Spartan 3A FPGA development board from numato.

Upon attempting to install the driver on Windows 7, I was notified that the driver for the Elbert V2 on the numato website doesn't seem to work on Windows 7 64-bit.

I plugged in my Elbert V2 as was instructed in the user manual and after Windows 7 recognized the device it couldn't find the driver and thus set it up as a "Unknown Device". I had then tried to update the driver by going into the device properties from device manager and upon selecting the location where the driver is located, I get the following error:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems"

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Hello unxn3rd,

Do you have a Win 8 64 bit system or Win7 32 bit system around to try installing driver? This will confirm if the problem is with the driver or hardware itself. The driver is known to work with 64 bit systems (We use Win8.1 64 bit on a bunch of test machines here).

Thanks,
    Tom
    Numato Lab

3. unxn3rd

unxn3rd New Member

I currently do not have access to a Win7 32-bit or Win8 64-bit system. I do have a Mac, but it is my understanding that the Elbert V2 will not work on it

4. admin

I will try to find a Win7 64 bit system and see if I can reproduce this issue. This might take a week or so depending upon how how fast I can find one. We will also check the current driver files to see if there are any incompatibilities. Meanwhile, if you could find a Win8 machine or a Linux machine, it is much easier to find out if the problem is with hardware or software.

Thanks,
    Tom

5. admin

We just tried installing the driver on a Win7 64 bit machine and it works just fine. So we can rule out possible driver problem. Can you please confirm the state of LEDs (D9, D1-D9) on the board when connected to USB?

Thanks,
    Tom

6. unxn3rd

unxn3rd New Member

From the looks of attaching it to my Windows box, I have a blue light on D9 from on the board (please see attached image

Attached Files:

7. unxn3rd

unxn3rd New Member

Okay I've solved part of the problem. It looks like the USB cable was faulty, and only provided power but no data transfer between the FPGA board and my computer. I was able to successfully install the driver on Win7 64-bit and got a COM4 port. However, Windows 7 is also recognizing the board as an "Unknown Device" under the USB Controller section... It doesn't seem to effect the programming of the FPGA (I was able to download the tutorial project I was working on WebPack through the configuration tool provided by Numato), but I'm concerned that while I may be able to program the FPGA some functionality may be missing.

Any ideas?

8. admin

Thanks for letting us know that replacing the USB cable fixed the issue. As far as features are concerned, if you are able to program the board using the configuration tool, you are not missing any functionality. But I'm very skeptical that if Elbert V2 is showing up as "Unknown Device", there is a big possibility that it is some other device. I can confirm this if you could find the VID and PID of the "Unknown Device". The following link has information on how to find VID/PID (disregard step 9 though).

http://support.en.kodak.com/app/ans...e-vid-and-pid-for-a-usb-device?/selected/true

Thanks,
    Tom

9. unxn3rd

unxn3rd New Member

Sorry for the late reply. I resolved the issue. Turns out for some reason when I had switched cables Windows 7 still kept the old unrecognized device from when I used the faulty cable. I just simply had to uninstall both devices, have Windows re-recognize the device by having it rescan for hardware changes, and the device got properly installed. Thanks for the help

10. admin

Thanks for the update. I will mark this thread as resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.